Oh My… And then there was GitHub

So lot’s has happened since the last post…

CodePlex ended
Job Changed
.net 4.7 and 4.7.1
New development machines
new Development IDE
new Virtual Box
Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2017 usage
Krypton Theming suite rewrite
And more.


Development Machine Updated, and IDE(s) restarted..

It’s been a while, and Life <-> DIY <-> Work <-> Foss had ratio problems.

The DIY still needs to be done,

Work pays for the mortgage (just)

Foss went to sleep

and it felt like life was get-up, work, come home, eat, sleep – repeat

Well the Daylight hours (Minutes currently) are getting longer, and that means things a re starting to dry out, and Foss gets a little look-in.


Has had a few long standing issues corrected, and a few features added.


Is undergoing a revamp into .net 4.5.1, new CBFS, and new performance measurements –> improvements.

Amalgam, has bee parked as Eldos’s version is pretty good.

WinAFred is private still, and trackers seems to have been hijacked by stale hangers-on in the Codeplex (I want to be a developer email) domain”” Winking smile

Liquesce… It’s back

After a bit of a break from developing against this project, I went and

– Tinkered with WPF,
– Played and disliked MS IDE 2012
– Some development with Resharper and other JetBrains tools
– New direction @ work
– New monitors for home

I returned with earnest to take on CBFS V4 and make the project work.

Now after a few months playing and Alpha testing, I have released the revised version (Phase ][) of Liquesce.

The installer is a lot bigger now, as it includes the CBFS drivers and its related x32 and x64 dll’s, but with the LZMA inside Zip it’s under 3MB after compression.

For a full list of features and Things that have been tested visit the download page @

13-10 Phase ][ Initial release

Winforms Wizard Tracker

Using the previously mentioned ProgressTracker control, I have now combined the MBG.SimpleWizard dll into a generic control that allows UserControl pages to be added. Which will then auto populate (And hence progress) the Tracker as a single entity.

By using the UserControl separation, means that each of the page logic is contained in a single class.

So here is a picture of the test App:


It is showing that progress has got to what is called “Page2b”, and it’s style has a border (The other pages did not) and it has a few Winform objects on it that are responding to mouse over.

The node name is derived from the Pages name, and the initialisation (or override) is all done in the parent form that hosts the Wizard tracker.

The base control will be added to the Elucidate project to become the Repair control wizard.

A C# Winforms Guided Tracker.

I’ve been looking for an implementation of a “Guided Tracker” that can be used easily within a winform wizard.
These things are also called progress indicators, and are often mistaken for breadcrumb controls. for a good guide and a look at what these can be done inside html / JavaScript, then look here : Tracker in Web Design

After seeing some nice ones done in WPF, I wanted to be able to use them via WPF hosting. This seemed to cause more problems than is solved. So I have done my own. It’s not polished yet, bit it allows me to get on with the wizard.


This can be found here as part of the Elucidate project.

I tried to make the drawing as much a one time thing as possible (i.e. not perform on every OnPaint), and to get the existing Label control to do all the hard work of text placement and image display.

Elucidate is in a feature request phase

It hasn’t been long since it went stable, so now is a good time to start to add features to the code base to make it more useful. The first of these to come to fruition is the Coverage display:

– Add view of protection to the settings page.
– Add click to toggle between GBytes and Percentage.
– Add a new tab for the coverage display with the breakout titles of the sources and include the Parity areas as well.
– Fix the Unsaved Changes warning when loading a populated settings page.
– Replace default left image in the installer

This is achieved via the charting control from within .Net 4 and does a pretty good job.

If you have a feature that you would like to see implemented, then go to Elucidate and vote or create some new ones.

Catch-up with Elucidate

That should really read “Get Elucidate to catch-up with the latest release of SnapRAID”, but that is a bit long.

While I have been spending some time with Elucidate, one of my 2TB’s drives has decided to have bad sectors in the middle of the MFT table, fortunately the recovery mechanism’s of SnapRAID came into their own.


I had to go to Ver 2.0 in order to get the recovery to be focussed on a single disk, great work, ( a good job I was also working on Elucidate to know about this amazing change) – Well done amadvance.

So to the new / improved stuff Elucidate:

012-12-18 (RC2)
– Add Command line extension text field
– Change tooltip when creating 2nd parity
– Add checks for the creation of the 1st config file, to allow "Start from fresh"
– Add "Run Without capture", which means that SnapRAID is run minimised and logs are not captured in Elucidate.
– Add an indication of the Blocksize Compared to installed memory

2012-12-11(Beta 1)
– Change the logging windows, so it sdoes not state StdErr, Stdout.
– Change to only output x86 build to be compatible with the scheduler code (http://taskscheduler.codeplex.com/workitem/9855)
– Update to the new version 1.9.2 of the scheduler binaries (http://taskscheduler.codeplex.com/releases/view/94616)
– Investigate fix for the content files having the incorrect names on the parity drives
– Rewire the noHidden to now be in the config file.
– Add config output helper text for "autoSave"